Risk Management Blog

UCC & Corporate Due Diligence

Resource Guide for Legal and Financial Professionals

Can I Be My Own Registered Agent or Have a Family Member Be My Registered Agent?

Registered Agent

The short answer to this question is Yes, but perhaps it is not the best answer. While it is usually possible in most states to legally serve as your own registered agent (or appoint a friend/family member), it is advisable to designate a third-party to perform this important role.

By having someone else responsible for the receipt of your legal and tax documents, you can have the peace of mind that someone will always be available to receive such important information. This means you can leave the office freely, go on vacation, etc., without having to worry about missing any critical tax or legal correspondence. If you or your family member happened to be out of the office or away for any extended period when your important documents were delivered and needed your attention, then you run the risk of your entity falling out of good standing in the state in which it is registered. Feel free to leave a comment if you need help finding a reputable registered agent service company.




Leave a Reply